My 90th Birthday (1996)

Having decided to accept an invitation to visit with Maureen and family in England, I booked a flight to London for July 12th 1996, and would spend two months with her.

Gordon and Arna will also be there at about the same time, so it will be a sort of mini family reunion, since there are now twelve members of my family now living in the UK. Before I go, however, my 90th birthday is here, 8th June 1996, and Marsha and Aubrey, with whom I have been living for the last twelve years after Emma died, decided to have a celebration for me.

After thinking the matter over, it was arranged to have a "Come to Tea" for two hours at Lawson Lodge, which is managed by our friends, the Carrs. It was formally published in the local newspapers and forty of my friends attended. Marsha, with help from Agnes and Mary Carr, made sandwiches, tea and coffee, etc. and had a truly exotic cake prepared by Safeway. The top of the huge iced cake depicted a golf course, complete with a sand-trap, a water hazard, and a golfer swinging at a ball, all in colour and really well done.

Marsha gave a short account of my family life, and read many complimentary letters and telephoned messages from the absent members of my family, for, scattered as they are all over the world, this was no doubt the best way they could do it. They were all happy to know that at long last, there was now a nonagenarian in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment