Maureen's and Paul's Visit to Brandon (1997)

As a welcome break, following Ron's demise, Maureen and Paul took the opportunity of visiting Canada.

Paul had to leave Canada about one week earlier than his mother, so as to resume his job in England. Maureen followed a week or so later, as she too was employed at the Wembley Hospital as an administrator/secretary.

To help in seeing her adjusted to a completely new lifestyle, I offered to spend a couple of months with her in the U.K. So I flew over to England during December and spent the Christmas and New Year holiday with her and Paul there.

Among the activities we indulged in during my stay in the UK were:- a visit to the Vale Farm Health Club where Maureen does tap dancing once a week, and after her class we did a little ballroom stuff.  We also visited some friends (the Storeys - the husband is Neil and wife June Ann Zitman both from Guyana) who also took us to a stage play "A Touch of Danger" which was well acted. We also paid a bus visit to Brent Cross, a large shopping Mall.

Our friend, Lynn Williams, also took Maureen and myself in her car on a half day tour visiting parts of the Greater London area I had never seen before, such as the Bentalls shopping area, Richmond and Bushy Parks. Lynn is an excellent driver, and it was instructive to hear her describe the various places we passed through. She is a qualified English teacher, at the University level.
With just about one week left before I return to Canada, I am looking for souvenirs to take back with me. Paul and Maureen's birthdays are coming up soon as well, so I am reasonably busy.
Today is Wednesday 28th January 1998 and Maureen and I go to the Wembley Town Hall to what is described as a Tea Dance (1.30 to 4.30 pm). This is a weekly affair and the cost is just £2.  Excellent music, good crowd. Hope to attend one more time before I leave for home in Brandon.

Paul's birthday is January 29th, so I stood him an exotic Indian dinner at 7.30 pm. He lives and works in Milton Keynes, and can usually only come to his home here in Eastcote Avenue on weekends.

We are booked for "Holiday on Ice" at the Wembley Arena on Tuesday 3rd February 1998, just a couple of days before I leave.
Wembley Arena

Also did a bus ride to Madame Tussauds and took' a few photographs.

Took in the Planetarium as well. We also paid a visit to Clare Perry, the financial adviser who takes care of Maureen's investments and generally counsels her on various matters. The view from her office window on the 24th floor in downtown London provides an excellent view of the business area of Central London. And now, after almost two months of staying with Maureen in London, I am all ready to return to Canada.

The plane ride was very comfortable, good hospitality service at the airport, a part-empty plane, allowing me to really stretch and loll over four seats on the ride of several hours (about eight) to Toronto. There, also, I received excellent service, being helped all the way to my final plane bound for Winnipeg. There I was promptly met by Aubrey and Marsha, and so safely back to Brandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment